For Your Viewing Pleasure

Friday, October 12, 2018

October 12 - How do you dress your kids and do you even take them to a funeral?

Sometimes, there are things you do that are probably not correct, sometimes you take your kids places that they probably shouldn't go. Me? I take my kids to funerals.

When my sister-in-law died, I took my son to the funeral, he didn't understand I am sure, he was way too young, and he was fussy and noisy, and I had to take him out in the vestibule, trying to keep him quiet. My daughter asked why I brought him with us... well... all of my babysitters happened to be there.

I really didn't think I should leave him with strangers when I could take him along, and my sister in law would have loved him being there, and would have probably laughed at him being noisy. She loved kids, he loved her... even though he was little.

Right after that, my aunt died. The aunt that had brought me up, when my mother was ill, I spent my time with my aunt... I took the kid.

Next was my mother-in-law, but she was pretty far away, I had my son and grandson( who are two years apart in age)  and my husband couldn't let go and leave (it was his stepmother but he loved her a lot) so I didn't try to go to the funeral, but she was my son's  favorite person to hang out with next to my mom. So, if I had gone, he would have as well.

Just a few months later, my brother passed away, we had been expecting it, he had been really sick since his wife had died, and we just kind of knew it would be soon, but it was still a shock. I took my son, because he loved my brother, and my brother loved him... so we went... my husband even wore a suit. He respected my brother that much.

One month later, my husband died.

Now, you would think that having that many funerals back to back, you would have some experience with what to wear, how to dress your kid... but... I was  just fragile enough that picking out my own clothes was too hard, how could I dress my own child?

Luckily, my daughter stepped up and helped a lot, she was really good about helping to pick out clothes for the boys. I say the boys, my son and grandson were, at that point, inseparable.  I had been keeping my grandson since he was just a few months old. So, I bought a suit jacket and pants, and she picked out shirt and ties and the boys were handsome, set to go.

I had a niece that had offered a suit, one her son wore to her mother's funeral, but it was too big still, so neither of the boys could wear it... I did keep it and it was put to lots of good use.

Unless you go through losing someone so close to you, how do you know what to do? I had lots of experience, but still... I was lost. I needed someone to lean on, someone to help me, to guide me... and thankfully, I had that.  My mother, who came to the hospital to be with me...  my daughter, my niece, other nieces that offered help. That is the only way I made it through. Without my family, I would have never made it... honestly. I was in such shock, such disbelief, such deep depression, that I don't think that I could have lived. I honestly didn't want to...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your thoughts, comments, stories of grief, or a prayer request.